Ankara Station Campus Medipol zoning plans canceled
With the lawsuit filed by the Ankara branch ŞPO, the zoning plans for the 50,000 square meter Ankara Railway Station Campus allocated to Medipol University, founded by Health Minister Fahrettin Koca, have been canceled.
A new legal development has taken place regarding the 50,000 square meter Ankara Railway Station Campus allocated to Ankara Medipol University, founded by Health Minister Fahrettin Koca. The Ankara Branch of the Chamber of Town Planners of TMMOB (ŞPO) filed a lawsuit with the 9th Administrative Court of Ankara regarding the modification of the zoning plan of the TCDD land allocated to Medipol. In the statement made by the Ankara branch of the ŞPO, it was announced that the zoning plans have been cancelled.
The statement from the ŞPO Ankara branch titled “Preferred Medipol Plans Cancelled” reads as follows:
“As part of the City Hospitals, which are causing major problems throughout the city and itself, many public hospitals are closed, their precious central lands are emptied by being eliminated one by one.
It is clear that the policy of city hospitals is a project of capitalization of high public resources with “public guarantees” and of privatization of health services for the benefit of subsidiaries. In addition, other valuable public lands are given to capital groups as private hospital investments. Medipol, which developed rapidly during AKP rule, is Tekel Building in Unkapanı, KadıköySGK Field in Kavacık, Karayolları Field in Kavacık, Atatürk Forest Farm Field, Kadıköy It also builds hospitals on school grounds in Turkey, through grants. One such area is the area known as the TCDD station area in Ankara.
06.08.2018/29216 Schedule prepared by the Ministry of Environment, Urban Planning and Climate Change on 2, “Altındağ District, Eti District, 19 block 29216 and 10 plots and Çankaya District, Eti District ‘Eti 11 block 12, 16, 1, 5000 plots.The area known as the TCDD station area has been transformed into a “private university area” with the amendment of the implementation zoning plan at the nazim scale and 1/1000. The area, which is the symbolic place of the Republic, was assigned to Ankara Medipol University, which was founded three months before the change of plan by the TESA Foundation, founded by the Minister of Health Fahrettin Koca.
Experts said there was no public interest in this project.
In summary, in the expert report prepared in the context of the lawsuit brought by the 9th Administrative Court of Ankara for the annulment of the said change of plan;
- With the transfer of the station area, which is in public ownership, to the ownership of the foundations, all the services to be provided in the area can be obtained “for a fee” and are therefore transformed into “privatized area status”,
- The technical and scientific reasons for the change of plan have not been clearly stated, and the plot-scale intervention is not consistent with the understanding of the master development plan, which should be prepared taking into account all the needs of the agglomerations,
- It is stated that the area is planned 10 times in 3 years (2008, 2016, 2018) and the repeated plans are not used rationally and the plot level changes go to against the principles of holistic planning, public interest and urbanism,
- Under city hospital policies, while many hospitals near the area have been relocated, it is against the public interest to assign the area to “private hospital use”,
- While the improvement of social and technical infrastructure is essential in zoning plans, the removal of the use of leisure space and underground parking and the creation of the use of “private university domain” disrupts the integrity of the plan and the balance of social reinforcement,
- The forecast of densifying uses in the area (E: 1.50, Yençok: 35.50 m) will negatively affect the preservation of the recorded historical and cultural texture, thus spoiling the identity of the city,
- The introduction of the use of the “Trade Area” in 20% of the planning area will cause problems with urban technical infrastructure and increase the traffic load of pedestrians and vehicles,
- The area is included in the “Open Green Spaces-Urban and Regional Parks” and “Use of High Speed Rail/Train” in the upper scale plans, and plan change decisions are not consistent to any of the decisions of the higher scale plan,
- After the completion of the central Ankara project, which is located in the immediate vicinity of the plots subject to the lawsuit, as well as the project related to the station area, it will be seen that the transport load on Hippodrome Street will increase considerably.
- findings are included. These justifications were deemed by the Court of Appeal to be “judgment-based”. The 9th Administrative Court of Ankara included these justifications in its decision of 14.04.2021 and numbered 2021/718.
However, despite the reasons of the expert report;
- Obligation to respect the principle of “overriding public interest”,
- The new building conditions brought about by the change of plan are of overriding public interest in terms of not limiting the provision of education services,
- Our case was rejected by the Court saying: “There is no contradiction with the principles of town planning in the plan, which is the subject of the lawsuit, for the creation of a university district, which is one of the uses in which the public interest is most evident with its contributions to higher education and society, and it is understood that there is an overriding public interest with the function it provides”.
Exceptional public interest, back to court. Kazanwa town planners!
This rejection decision, which we challenged, was based on the expert report of the 5th Administrative Chamber of the Ankara Regional Administrative Court in its decision numbered 2022/668, in summary;
- The area has a historical feature for the city of Ankara,
- It is possible to be developed solely for the purpose of preserving the historic fabric,
- Ignoring this characteristic, the commissioning of a new station complex cannot be accepted as the only reason for urban planning in the territory,
- Even though the purpose of the old station building has ended, the registered buildings in the area are used as museums and exhibition halls, and the public element that will serve all Ankara residents continues,
- Considering the objective of establishing the hospital complex, which is envisaged under the use of “Private University”, and the objective of establishing the surrounding health institutions and hospitals in the city , the reasons for setting up in this historic region have not been explained, move forward concretely and objectively by carrying out a needs analysis,
- Due to the intended use decision and density of construction, basic research and examination of how the quality and characteristics of the area can endure and how the registered structures can be protected have not been carried out. not been carried out as part of the zoning plans. , which is the subject of the lawsuit,
- Currently, although there are serious traffic problems in the area, it is understood that how the intended use and planned construction will control the additional traffic load has not been sufficiently analysed.
It was concluded that the use of the “private university zone” did not comply with the law in the zoning plans subject of the lawsuit, in which the use of the “private university zone” had been established without analysis, data and consideration of the reasons for its introduction, the effect on the historic texture of the area and the additional traffic load it would bring. was done.
The realization of such a functional transformation after the closure of hospitals serving the city in order to legitimize city hospitals is the most concrete representation of incoherent urbanization policies that are contrary to the general interest.
During the 20-year rule of the AKP, where education and health services have been privatized day by day, low-income citizens find it difficult to access these services and class differences have deepened, l one of Ankara’s most important public spaces is being destroyed by these looting policies.
Our society for almost a Kazanto century has been protecting these values instead of destroying the values to which they do not belong; We respectfully announce to the public that we are resolutely pursuing our fight to enhance spaces that carry historical, cultural and architectural values, not by attributing them to capital or support foundations, but by considering the “true” public interest.